Williams Mullen has developed significant experience over the years providing sophisticated legal services to clients in the hospitality industry. Our dedicated Hospitality Industry Service Group represents public and private companies, both in the U.S. and abroad, who develop, own and operate resorts, hotels, time-share properties, water parks and conference facilities. We know that direct, specialized experience counts when it comes to partnering with hospitality clients.
Williams Mullen has developed significant experience over the years providing sophisticated legal services to clients in the hospitality industry. Our dedicated Hospitality Industry Service Group represents public and private companies, both in the U.S. and abroad, who develop, own and operate resorts, hotels, time-share properties, water parks and conference facilities. We know that direct, specialized experience counts when it comes to partnering with hospitality clients. These companies have long relied on Williams Mullen to provide comprehensive legal services that cover land acquisition, finance and development, timeshare, fractional ownership, condominium documentation, state registration, and receivables hypothecations and securitizations. We also provide strategic counsel on key business issues such as labor & employment, immigration compliance, sales and marketing, teleservices compliance, intellectual property, franchising and expansion. Serving as a long-term partner, we help hotel, resort and other hospitality property owners and developers reach their business goals.
In addition to our substantive experience, hospitality clients also benefit from our established relationships with respected industry professionals such as consulting engineers, appraisers, investors and lenders. For new developments, this often translates into shorter site development timelines, fewer design build obstacles, and more fluid openings. For existing developments, this means we can ease the process for owners seeking financing to expand or refurbish their properties.
Attorneys in the firm’s Hospitality Industry Group are active in industry trade associations and are consistently called upon to speak at conferences for organizations such as the American Resort Development Association (ARDA), the Virginia Resort Development Association (VRDA) and the Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals Association (HFTP).
Our Hospitality Group routinely provides the following suite of services:
- Purchasing and selling hotels
- Refinancing mortgage loans
- Assisting with loan workouts
- Providing bankruptcy advice to single-purpose partnerships that owns hotels
- Advising hotel owners and lenders about receivership laws
- Negotiating parking agreements and easements for hotels
- Defending against condemnation of hotel facilities
- Advising on worksite enforcement and immigration compliance
- Assisting with ABC licenses
- Negotiating booking policy for exhibition and conference centers
- Preparing securities offerings for hotel investment funds
- Negotiating public-private partnerships between hotel companies and municipalities
- Preparing facility operating agreement for public conference centers
- Preparing hotel management agreements
- Defending against employment litigation by employees of hotel management company
- Advising on time-share registration requirements
- Preparing benefit plans for hotel and time-share clients
- Advising on contest/sweepstakes law
- Advising on coupon/gift certificate law