After serving his constituents and state and local businesses as an elected member to the Virginia House of Delegates for 24 years (12 of which he served as chairman of the House Courts of Justice Committee, which handles more bills than any other committee), Dave now represents corporations, businesses, trade associations and public entities before Virginia’s executive branch, legislative branch and state agencies on all aspects of government relations, including legislative advocacy, business development, government contracting and regulatory matters. Dave’s experience has already resulted in his selection by Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” in Government Relations/Lobbying (2018).
After serving his constituents and state and local businesses as an elected member to the Virginia House of Delegates for 24 years (12 of which he served as chairman of the House Courts of Justice Committee, which handles more bills than any other committee), Dave now represents corporations, businesses, trade associations and public entities before Virginia’s executive branch, legislative branch and state agencies on all aspects of government relations, including legislative advocacy, business development, government contracting and regulatory matters. Dave’s experience has already resulted in his selection by Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” in Government Relations / Lobbying (2018).
During his tenure as a delegate, Dave developed extensive experience in navigating government to solve problems. With a reputation for working with both political parties, he was highly sought after as a legislator who could figure out a way to pass a bill, solve a problem for a constituent or get answers for businesses regulated by the government.
In addition to the House Courts of Justice Committee, which writes all Virginia civil and criminal court laws, Dave also served on the General Laws Committee, which oversees, among many other areas:
- Government contracting;
- Trade regulation (e.g. licensed professions such as real estate agents and CPA’s);
- Alcoholic beverage control (“ABC”);
- Tobacco regulation;
- FOIA; and
- Real estate transaction regulation.
For many years Dave chaired the Environmental Law Sub-committee, which writes:
- Solid waste;
- Land preservation; and
- Building/construction environmental laws.
Dave was also a member of the Joint Legislative Audit Review Commission, which is a bipartisan Senate/House government oversight commission. It oversees all government operations, including Virginia’s information technology (VITA).
Being from Northern Virginia, Dave was also intensely involved with transportation construction issues. His accomplishments in helping people and businesses travel more efficiently include:
- Original sponsor of High Occupancy Toll systems;
- Co-creator of the measurement system for prioritizing transportation maintenance;
- Co-author of the 2013 Transportation Act, which created the largest influx of transportation funding in a generation and determined how the projects would be selected; and
- Appointee of the Speaker of the House to serve numerous terms on the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, which oversees mass transit and conducts transportation planning in Northern Virginia.
Other notable accomplishments include:
- Sponsor of the bill that restructured the entire Virginia ABC, changing it from an agency to a private authority;
- Co-sponsor of companion legislation in connection with the adoption of the written Virginia Rules of Evidence
- Helping modernize Virginia’s Computer/Internet laws (the Virginia Computer Information and Transactions Act and numerous computer/internet crime laws); and
- Co-creator of the financing mechanism that allowed Fairfax County to enter the state’s first public-private partnership (“P3”) to construct a public building – South County High School. His efforts led to the creation of the public-private partnership section of the Virginia Code.
Since the General Assembly is a part-time legislature, when it is not in session, Dave also has maintained a robust state and federal criminal and traffic offense practice, where for more than 30 years he has assisted individuals facing serious charges ranging from white collar felony fraud/embezzlement offenses to traffic offenses, such as DUIs or reckless driving. His practice includes most criminal charges, including possession/distribution of narcotics, larceny, disorderly conduct and more.
Dave is highly sought after by people who have made mistakes resulting in criminal charges because of his vast experience in not only writing the laws but also litigating these laws for three decades. Before he was elected to the House of Delegates, Dave served three years as a general district court prosecutor. Dave has handled literally thousands of cases before district courts in Virginia, and he has extensive bench and jury trial experience in Virginia circuit and federal district courts.
In addition to his criminal law practice, Dave represents individuals and businesses before the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (“ABC”) Authority for violations of law or the acquisition of ABC licenses.
On top of Dave’s vast legal experience, he is a sought-after lecturer for continuing education classes, including courses on criminal, DUI and reckless driving defense law; alcoholic beverage control law; and other law topics ranging from recent updates on the law to fantasy sports gaming.
Dave has been honored five times as a top “Top Lawyer” by Washingtonian magazine and as a “Best Lawyer” by Northern Virginia magazine. In 2010, he was honored as one of Virginia’s “Leaders in the Law” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly.
Dave earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Richmond, and he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from the University of Virginia.