Brad Nowak focuses his practice in the areas of corporate, finance, energy, infrastructure and international transactions. Mr. Nowak provides general representation to corporations, financial institutions, municipalities and governmental authorities in a broad spectrum of transactions, advising on issues concerning corporate structure, merger and acquisition activities, joint venture, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, financing, procurement and privatization matters.
Brad Nowak focuses his practice in the areas of corporate, finance, energy, infrastructure and international transactions. Mr. Nowak provides general representation to corporations, financial institutions, municipalities and governmental authorities in a broad spectrum of transactions, advising on issues concerning corporate structure, merger and acquisition activities, joint venture, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, financing, procurement and privatization matters. As a member of the firm’s Energy, Environment and Infrastructure Group, Mr. Nowak regularly works with public entities on public infrastructure projects and services, including through all stages of project development. He counsels and advises clients in a variety of complex transactions, providing practical advice in assessing and offering solutions to legal and other issues presented by such challenging projects. He also works with start-ups and emerging growth companies through all stages of a company’s life cycle, including business planning, formation, capital raising, ongoing operations and exit strategies.
Mr. Nowak received his juris doctor degree from Wake Forest University School of Law. While in law school, Mr. Nowak was a member of Wake Forest’s Moot Court team, served as teaching assistant for both Legal Research and Writing and Legislation/Administrative Law and chaired the Student Faculty Hiring and Curriculum Committee. Mr. Nowak is also an active member of Wake Forest University’s alumni association and regularly mentors law students.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Nowak worked as lead press advance for a U.S. Senate campaign in New York and worked briefly at the U.S. State Department and The White House. He also has actively participated in many federal, state and local campaigns. Additionally, Mr. Nowak was a management associate at M&T Bank in their corporate communications group. He received his bachelor of science degree, summa cum laude, in business administration with a concentration in finance from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Through his work at Williams Mullen, Mr. Nowak is actively engaged with the Energy Recovery Council. He is also a member of the Design Build Institute of America, the International City/County Management Association, and the Solid Waste Association of North America. He is an active member of the District of Columbia Bar, the Virginia State Bar, the American Bar Association and the Virginia Bar Association. In 2010, Washington SmartCEO magazine named Mr. Nowak among Washington, D.C.'s "Legal Elite."
- Represented a Virginia regional public authority in connection with the privatization of its waste-to-energy facility and drafted and negotiated a performance-based service agreement with two competing private facility operators.
- Represented a Virginia municipality on the proposed exercise of its purchase option to acquire a waste-to-energy facility from the facility’s private operator.
- Represented a Virginia municipality in connection with the preparation and negotiation of material amendments to its existing service agreement with a private operator for continued long-term operation of a waste-to-energy facility.
- Drafted performance-based service agreement for operation and maintenance of a materials recovery facility in Washington.
- Represented two Virginia municipalities in connection with the preparation of a long-term, performance-based disposal and service agreement for processing of municipal solid waste at a regional waste-to-energy facility.
- Advised a Florida municipality in connection with a proposed assignment of a service agreement to a new operator for operation of its waste-to-energy facility.
- Represented a Pennsylvania public authority in connection with the development and construction of an ash recycling and resource recovery facility and long-term operation and maintenance of such facility by a private operator.
Corporate and M&A
- Represented large Mexican bank on its acquisition of a Texas-based bank holding company.
- Represented large Mexican bank on the acquisition and licensing approval of two money transmitters with operations in 41 states.
- Represented U.S.-based investor group on the sale of one of Poland’s largest car parking operators to a large multi-national parking facility operator.
- Represented sellers of two military defense contractors to a private equity firm.
- Represented public U.S. distributor/retailer in connection with the acquisition of a trading company based in China.
- Represented senior housing private investment firm in connection with a $205 million mezzanine loan facility.
- Represented seller group in connection with the sale of a multi-state pharmacy services business.
- Represented two business development companies in connection with their initial establishment and numerous amendments to revolving credit facilities with multiple lenders.
- Represented a large automobile dealer association in connection with formation of a joint venture with a global market intelligence and research company.
- Drafted purchase agreement and conducted due diligence for acquisition of 13 skilled nursing facilities.
- Conducted due diligence in connection with a proposed acquisition of approximately 115 nursing homes/skilled care facilities.