Josh Brady provides his foreign and domestic clients with a wide range of intellectual property services. He has broad experience in patent litigation and prosecution, trademark protection and enforcement, and trade secret and unfair competition litigation, and represents clients in all phases of intellectual property disputes. He assists businesses with identifying and enhancing the value of intellectual property assets, as well as portfolio management, due diligence, and opinions.
Josh Brady provides his foreign and domestic clients with a wide range of intellectual property services. He has broad experience in patent litigation and prosecution, trademark protection and enforcement, and trade secret and unfair competition litigation, and represents clients in all phases of intellectual property disputes. He assists businesses with identifying and enhancing the value of intellectual property assets, as well as portfolio management, due diligence, and opinions. Josh also helps government contractors protect and enforce intellectual property rights in connection with performance under federal contracts, and assists weapon system manufacturers develop IP portfolios in line with product development and business strategies. His practice involves technology from a broad range of industries, including chemical and biochemical, firearms and weapons systems, defense technologies, automotive and aeronautical, and medical and life sciences.
His litigation experience includes pre-filing investigations, pleadings and motions drafting, fact and expert discovery, motions practice, trial, and settlement negotiations. In addition, Josh has extensive patent prosecution experience in electrical, chemical, medical, software, and mechanical arts, including reexamination proceedings and reissue applications. In the modern world of constantly developing new technologies and increasing reliance on intellectual property assets, Josh has a high aptitude for quickly mastering new fields of technical arts.
Josh previously served as an Intellectual Property Trial Attorney with the Department of Justice, where he represented the federal government in affirmative and defensive patent and trademark infringement suits; trademark registration, licensing and policing; and false patent marking and counterfeit goods cases. He also counseled federal agencies on a wide variety of intellectual property issues.
Josh earned his J. D. from the University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law, where he graduated with honors in 2006. He holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and minored in Chemistry.
- Represented the federal government in connection with patent infringement claims involving night vision technology, hazardous waste remediation, and treatment of dredge material;
- Asserted patent claims directed to rapid and selective detection of harmful bacteria;
- Protected and enforced trademark rights to AMBERAlert to maximize the consumer recognition and appreciation of the mark;
- Assisted federal contractors with intellectual property asset identification and protection throughout term of government contracts;
- Defended clients in connection with allegations of false advertisement and unfair competition;
- Prepared numerous noninfringement and invalidity opinions for utility and design patents;
- Defended government contractor from allegations of trade secret misappropriation;
- Prosecuted numerous patent applications in diverse technologies to issue;
- Managed international patent portfolios and directed international patent prosecution;
- Drafted new patent applications;
- Counseled clients in connection with effective and efficient patent prosecution strategies for new commercial products;
- Opposed an attempted foreign registration of client’s famous trademark;
- Challenged trademark applications and registrations in TTAB cancellation and opposition proceedings;
- Challenged the validity of patent claims through post-grant procedures.