Anna K. Derewenda
Anna Derewenda helps a diverse range of corporate and pass-through companies navigate the impact of tax laws on their businesses, both in the US and internationally.
Anna advises clients on the tax aspects of corporate formations, investments, contributions, distributions, and reorganizations, as well as mergers and acquisitions, financings, and private and public offerings. She has assisted clients at all stages, from start-up and formation to daily operations to exit. She has also represented clients obtaining private letter rulings from the IRS.
Anna is the firm’s go-to resource for international tax matters. She helps US companies structure their foreign operations, including dealing with the US taxation of foreign income under Subpart F, GILTI, and passive foreign investment company rules. From an inbound perspective, her practice includes advising on structuring and reporting related to foreign investors’ activities in the US including organizing, holding, and disposing of US operations and real property interests, withholding on payments of US source income, permanent establishment questions, and application of international income tax treaties. She also provides advice related to the consequences of cross-border taxable and tax-free transactions.
Anna serves as one of the firm’s relationship partners for TAG Alliance, a multidisciplinary, worldwide alliance of independent professional services firms. Due to her lengthy involvement in the TAG Alliance, Anna has built a strong international network and is sought after to connect firm clients to trusted counsel across the US and the world. She also co-chairs the organization’s Tax Group.
Anna is an active writer and speaker. She has written on the impact of COVID legislation on employers, relief provided by the IRS for taxpayers due to the coronavirus as well as regular analysis on new and changing tax laws. She has served as an editor for Thomson Reuter’s Checkpoint Catalyst international tax research database.
Prior to joining Williams Mullen, Anna was a manager in KPMG’s international tax services group. She earned her Master of Laws in Taxation from New York University School of Law and earned her Juris Doctor from the Hofstra University School of Law, where she graduated cum laude. She also has a B.A. in biology from the University of Virginia.
- New York University School of Law (LLM), 2007
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D.), 2006
- cum laude
- Family Court Review – Electronic Resources Editor
- Dean’s List (2004-2005)
- University of Virginia (B.A.), 2002
- TagLaw Tax Group - Co-Chair
- TAG Alliances Advisory Board - Conferences, Events, and Member Engagement Committee
- New York State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
The Best Lawyers in America® - Corporate Law (2022-present), Tax Law (2023)
Virginia Business – “Legal Elite,” Corporate Law (2022)
- Representation of The C.F. Sauer Company in their sale to Falfurrias Capital Partners.
- Representation of financial institutions in tax-free and taxable acquisitions, including Parkway Acquisition Corp. and Skyline National Bank in their $14.5M merger with Great State Bank; Bay Banks of Virginia in a $124.8M merger with Blue Ridge Bankshares; and Virginia National Bankshares Corporation in a $61.7M merger with Fauquier Bankshares, Inc.
- Representation of Boston Barricade in their sale to Mosaic Capital Partners.
- Representation of a textile manufacturing provider analyzing the impact of the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on taxation of foreign operations.
- Representation of a healthcare IT consulting company exploring foreign operations.
- Representation of Home Care Delivered, a provider of reimbursable medical supplies, in a majority equity investment transaction with BPOC, a leading Chicago-based private equity firm focused exclusively on the health care industry.
- Representation of Envest Capital Partners, a private equity firm, in its acquisition of Bell & Williams Associates, a provider of repossession, collection, remarketing, and skip tracing services.
- Representation of DDI Transportation, an established drayage and trucking business in its sale to RoadOne IntermodaLogistics, a single source intermodal, distribution, and logistics services company.
- Representation of a provider of fire protection systems in a recapitalization transaction in which it partnered with a private equity firm.