Lauren W. Waller
Lauren represents clients in all types and phases of disputes involving their businesses, with a particular emphasis on eDiscovery issues. She is intimately familiar with electronic discovery practices in federal and state court and provides guidance in crafting defensible and uniform approaches to records management and retention, litigation hold implementation, legacy data disposal and migration and outside vendor relationships and costs. Lauren has experience negotiating ESI protocols and has utilized the latest technology tools to analyze, review, produce and present evidence. Lauren is a frequent speaker and writer on eDiscovery issues. She is a member of Working Group I on Electronic Document Retention and Production of The Sedona Conference.
Lauren also has experience conducting government and internal investigations in matters involving securities and banking regulation, regulatory inquiries and potential Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations. Her litigation experience includes civil rights and constitutional law claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and representing clients in personal injury, property and business disputes.
Lauren serves on the board of directors of the Richmond Bar Association and is a member of the Virginia Bar Association. She is a member of the bars of various federal courts, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. She is also a member of the Virginia State Bar. Lauren also serves on the board of directors for St. Joseph’s Villa, a nonprofit organization providing education, health services, shelter and support to children and families in the Richmond area.
Lauren received her Juris Doctor Degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Richmond School of Law. While in law school, she served as executive editor of the University of Richmond Law Review. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Virginia.
- University of Richmond School of Law (J.D.), 2007
- magna cum laude
- University of Richmond Law Review – Executive Editor
- University of Virginia (B.A.), 2002
- Richmond Bar Asociation – Judiciary Committee (2017-2020); Administration of Justice Committee (2014-2017); Young Lawyers Section Chair (2013-2015), Executive Committee (2010-2015), Board of Directors (2022-present)
- Virginia Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division Executive Board (2015-2018); Legal Food Frenzy, Statewide Co-Chair (2013-2018)
- St. Joseph’s Villa Board of Trustees - Board Member
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
Virginia Super Lawyers - "Rising Star" (2014-present)
The Best Lawyers in America© - Commercial Litigation (2022)
- Defended a national electronics retailer regarding terms of its restocking fee in a class action lawsuit in which the plaintiffs sought to certify national classes based on contract and quasi-contract claims alleging violations of the terms and conditions of their purchase agreements.
- Defended property owner in personal injury action in which Plaintiff sought $600,000. Settled matter prior to trial and without mediation.
- Defended police officers in section 1983 action involving multiple constitutional claims brought by pro se prisoner litigant.
- eDiscovery counsel for corporation in employment dispute, crafting eDiscovery protocols and phased production schedule, as well as engaging in motions practice with opposing counsel
- eDiscovery counsel for manufacturing corporation responding to government subpoena, managing identification, collection, complex document review and production of documents
- eDiscovery counsel for defendant in intellectual property litigation, drafting and implementing ESI identification and collection protocols for data in the United States and European Union, as well as managing complex document review consisting of multiple issues and foreign languages
- eDiscovery counsel for multiple defendants in intellectual property litigation in Eastern District of Virginia, managing all facets of the EDRM within the “Rocket Docket”