Williams Mullen provides advice and representation in all aspects of international business transactions and activities. We have helped clients form and capitalize an appropriate business entity for: international mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures, teaming agreements, joint development and marketing partnerships; foreign distribution, reseller, sales representative, agent, “Del Credere” and other marketing agreements. Our team advises clients on the wide range of potentially applicable U.S. laws, including export controls and sanctions, U.S. antitrust/competition laws, laws affecting intellectual property, and laws relating to the appointment of agents and distributors. We also counsel on foreign law issues such as: legality and regulation of the proposed business; enforceability of contracts; corporate ownership; local-currency issues; form and method of payment; employee relations; litigation and arbitration; preferred structure of local presence; applicable bilateral investment treaties; taxes; customs, import and export requirements; and political risk.
Our International Practice has extensive experience in planning and structuring cross-border inbound investments into the United States. Our attorneys help companies to:
- Establish a representative office, branch or wholly-owned subsidiary.
- Acquire a local company.
- Make an equity investment.
- Enter into a joint venture or partnership
- Implement a cross-border reorganization (including mergers, liquidations and divestitures).
We advise clients on such elements as:
- Selecting a site or acquisition.
- Structuring the U.S. investment (e.g., choice of entity)
- Financing the U.S. investment (including debt and equity financing).
- Coordinating immigration strategy with investment plans.
- Advising business executives on international tax issues.
- Addressing relevant requirements of labor and employment law.
- Complying with domestic preference statutes governing U.S. procurement such as the Buy America Act
- Interpreting incentives and tax treaties to minimize global taxation.
- Efficiently repatriating profits from the United States.
Comprehensive support packages tailored to each client ensures that their unique objectives are met.