Williams Mullen’s State and Local Tax Practice Group is staffed by experienced attorneys who have practiced extensively in the state and local tax area for many years. Our attorneys manage all aspects of tax controversies with state and local tax authorities, from a routine desk audit to complex litigation in state and appellate courts. We also provide insights on planning for tax efficiency in mergers and acquisitions and other transactional work.
We handle matters involving all types of state and local taxes, including multistate corporate income and franchise tax, sales and use tax, property tax litigation involving real and personal property, excise and business license taxes, tax credits, and personal income tax.
Our state and local tax attorneys also collaborate regularly with our corporate attorneys on behalf of clients on multi-state tax consequences of corporate structures and transactions. While we have represented businesses that are wholly based in Virginia, North Carolina, and the District of Columbia, most of our clients have been large multi-state and international clients with significant presence in our footprint and across the country.
- Representing clients in administrative appeals with state and local taxing authorities.
- Litigating contested matters in state courts, including the Supreme Court of Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- Managing audits and examinations by state and local taxing authorities.
- Filing voluntary disclosure agreements with state and local taxing authorities.
- Corporate tax planning and transactional matters involving state and local taxation.