David Lay represents companies and individuals in a broad range of matters, with an emphasis on angel and venture capital financings, debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, secured transactions and general corporate and securities matters. He has significant experience in the organization and ongoing representation of emerging growth and technology companies, including information technology, internet and high-tech research, development and manufacturing companies.
David Lay represents companies and individuals in a broad range of matters, with an emphasis on angel and venture capital financings, debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, secured transactions and general corporate and securities matters.
He has significant experience in the organization and ongoing representation of emerging growth and technology companies, including information technology, internet and high-tech research, development and manufacturing companies.
David is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law (2013-present), and he is listed in Virginia Super Lawyers for Securities & Corporate Finance Law (2010-2017) and Mergers & Acquisitions (2018-present). He also has been named among Virginia’s “Legal Elite” for Business Law by Virginia Business (2009, 2014-2016, 2019-present).
David is a mentor at StartupVirginia. He is a former chair (2010), secretary (2009) and executive committee member (2007-2011) of the Richmond Bar Association’s Business Law Section. He serves as the secretary of the Legal Opinions Committee of the Virginia Bar Association (VBA), and he previously served on the VBA’s drafting committee for the Virginia Report on Third Party Legal Opinions in Business Transactions.
He earned his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from Washington & Lee University, and he earned his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Virginia.
- Representation of COX Transportation Services and its affiliates in a sale to a buyer group formed by Expedition Capital Partners, Ironwood Capital, and Tecum Capital Partners.
- Representation of Envest Capital Partners, a private equity firm, in its acquisition of Bell & Williams Associates, a provider of repossession, collection, remarketing, and skip tracing services.
- Representation of DDI Transportation, an established drayage and trucking business, in its sale to RoadOne IntermodaLogistics, a single source intermodal, distribution, and logistics services company.
- Representation of Home Care Delivered, a provider of reimbursable medical supplies, in a majority equity investment transaction with a healthcare industry-focused private equity firm.
- Representation of PeakLogix Inc., a material handling systems integrator, in its sale to Alta Equipment Group Inc. (NYSE: ALTG), an industrial and construction equipment company.
- Representation of The Income Tax School, Inc. in its sale to an e-learning company, KnowFully Learning Group, which is part of NexPhase Capital, LP.
- Representation of Belle Isle Moonshine, a craft spirit maker based in Richmond, VA, in a notes offering.
- Representation of a growth equity firm in numerous investment rounds totaling more than $25,000,000. (Blue Heron; you’ll recall they only gave us permission to list them as a client, not for deal details).
- Representation of a consumer engagement services provider in the healthcare space in several financing rounds totaling over $10,000,000. (Envera Health, same story as above).
- Representation of a large indoor growing facility in a $10,800,000 preferred stock round (Greenswell Growers, same as above).
- Representation of Outdoor Access, an outdoor recreation company, in Series A Preferred Stock and Common Stock offerings.
- Representation of a healthcare technology company in numerous financing rounds totaling $18,500,000. (Prodigo Solutions)
- Representation of Warehowz, LLC, an on-demand warehousing solution, in its Series Seed Preferred Stock offering.
- Representation of an events application program in a $2,500,000 stock offering. (Occasion Genius)