Getting deals done. It’s not always as easy as it sounds. It takes an experienced team that can provide sound and timely business counsel and execute a transaction efficiently. The Williams Mullen Mergers and Acquisitions Practice has extensive experience, having represented strategic and financial buyers and sellers in numerous transactions. Our team’s deals have varied from a few million dollars to more than two billion in size and have included negotiated purchases and divestitures by public companies, private companies, private equity funds and venture capital funds. We also have experience with tender offers, restructurings, spin-offs, leveraged buy-outs and "going-private" transactions.
Our team is proficient in a wide variety of industries, including automotive dealerships, franchises, banking and financial services, government contractors, hospitality, insurance and insurance brokerages, long term care, manufacturing, retail and software and technology.
As a result of our participation in this wide variety of transactions across multiple industries, our Mergers and Acquisitions Practice has gained valuable experience and insight into industry-specific norms and various structures and methods for approaching transactions. We organize our mergers and acquisitions deal teams around each client’s transaction and have experienced team members who make valuable contributions to the deal teams from our tax; employee benefits; labor, employment and immigration; intellectual property, real estate, environmental and other groups. Our team's combination of experience, creativity and ability to execute a transaction efficiently brings added value to our clients and allows us to find ways to close transactions for our clients where others might fail to find workable solutions.
- Represented a Virginia-based carrier owning more than 400 trucks and operations throughout the U.S. and Canada in the sale of the company and related entities to a large, full-truckload carrier in North America.
- Represented a group of privately held companies in a $214 million sale of their waste disposal business and related real estate assets.
- Represented an internet video platform in its acquisition of a live video streaming company.
- Represented a developer of cloud-based, technology-led, spend management solutions for the public and private sector markets in its sale to a software company on the London stock exchange for over $130 million.
- Represented a bank subsidiary in its purchase of an investment advisory firm with more than $400 million of assets under management.
- Represented a clinical trials laboratory services joint venture in its acquisition of a leading provider of precision medicine technology solutions. Structured as a reverse triangular merger, the transaction required significant technology diligence review, a complex shareholder arrangement with both option and warrant holders, as well as substantial post-closing tax planning.
- Served as buyer's counsel to a privately held American media company in its acquisition of a U.S. and Canadian pharmaceutical company.
- Representation of a ground transportation service provider with a footprint in twelve states in connection with a controlling equity investment by a private equity firm. The deal process included a pre-closing reorganization with multiple subsidiaries in multiple states.
- Represented a drone manufacturer in a $35 million sale of the company to a publicly traded defense contractor.
- Served as buyer's counsel to a manufacturer, marketer and distributor of nutritional supplements in its acquisition of a maker of over-the-counter healthcare products.
- Represented a financial institution in its merger with a holding company, creating a community bank with around $800 million in total assets.
- Represented family-owned convenience store and oil company in the sale of its convenience stores and wholesale fuel distribution company.
- Represented a health and educational support services company in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a leading natural food pet treats online retailer in its sale to a New York-based family office.
- Represented a top 50 middle-market insurance agency in its acquisition of a Delaware-based insurance agency.
- Represented a global leader in branched-chain amino acid sports nutrition in its sale to a market leader in sports nutrition.
- Represented a telecom company in a $13 million acquisition of a broadband internet provider's business in Virginia.
- Represented an RV resort in North Carolina in its $4 million sale to a property manager and developer.
- Served as buyer's counsel to a software development, design and digital marketing agency in its acquisition of a mobile software products company.
- Represented a regional transportation services provider in the purchase of assets from two shuttle companies.
“The lawyers at Williams Mullen have a keen sense of the market and the provisions that matter in a deal, and always take a balanced approach between risk mitigation and facilitating the execution of a transaction.”
— Williams Mullen Client Feedback - Chambers USA, 2023
M&A Webinar Series
In this ongoing webinar series, our attorneys provide insights on various elements of merger and acquisition transactions, as well as trends we are seeing in this space in short 15 minute sessions. We hope to provide takeaways that you can apply to current transactions or be helpful in planning future ones.