At Williams Mullen, our environmental attorneys understand that clients want practical, cost-effective solutions, not reasons why something can’t be done. Our goal is to uncomplicate things and make them work. We do that by combining a thorough understanding of our client's business with a comprehensive knowledge of environmental law and a familiarity with the regulators and their procedures.
Our environmental attorneys have more than a hundred years of combined experience on an extensive array of matters. For example, we have represented:
- Manufacturers in obtaining air and water permits, including PSD, Title V, and NPDES, and in Clean Air and Clean Water Act compliance and enforcement issues.
- Fortune 500 companies in prosecuting and defending litigation concerning environmental liabilities, including CERCLA cost recovery and contribution actions and contract actions involving complex indemnity agreements.
- A large local government in permitting a 1,100 acre regional water supply reservoir project.
- Manufacturers, local governments and solid waste companies in the permitting, closure and post-closure care of solid and hazardous waste landfills.
- Real estate developers, investors and lenders in numerous Brownfields projects, including a 330 acre former rail yard in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Manufacturers and landowners in investigating and remediating contamination under CERCLA (including at numerous NPL sites), RCRA corrective action, and state voluntary cleanup programs.
- Clients charged with criminal violations of environmental laws.
- Insurers and policyholders in environmental insurance coverage disputes and in manuscripting environmental insurance policies.
- Real estate developers in obtaining federal and state wetland permits.
- Companies and lenders in connection with environmental due diligence and the negotiation and drafting of transaction agreements.
- Clients in connection with environmental audits and voluntary disclosures under federal and state audit policies.
Williams Mullen also assists clients with the growing legal challenges and economic opportunities in the renewable energy arena. Our attorneys have extensive experience in permitting, development and compliance issues associated with renewable energy projects. From onshore and offshore wind to biomass and waste-to-energy, we have the knowledge to help bring these projects to fruition.
Let us work with you. Our goal is to be a trusted advisor and member of your team.
“The firm provides regular reports on environmental issues that we care about, which is widely received, appreciated and very popular. Their lawyers are also easy to work with and very timely, which makes them great value for money.”
— Williams Mullen Client Feedback - Chambers USA, 2023