Wind energy continues to grow exponentially with the advancement of onshore and offshore wind generating facilities in the United States, including off the coasts of Virginia, North Carolina and several other states. Our Wind Energy team advises clients on all aspects of wind energy project development, financing, construction and operations, including real estate, land use, finance, tax, environmental permitting, energy (regulation, interconnection and power sales), construction and corporate law. We represent developers, independent power producers, investors, lenders, owners, operators and offshore wind manufacturers and supply chain companies with a particular focus on wind energy projects in, and off the coasts of, Virginia and North Carolina.
Williams Mullen offers a full-service team of attorneys and other professionals who advise clients on a myriad of legal matters and other issues involved in the development, financing, construction and operation of wind energy projects. Our core team of energy attorneys work with several of our firm’s complementary practice areas, including environmental, corporate, real estate, tax, government relations, construction and finance to provide clients with comprehensive legal solutions.
We counsel wind energy clients throughout all stages of project development and operations, advising on:
- Certificates of Public Convenience & Necessity (CPCN)
- Energy and Environmental Regulations
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction
- Environmental Permitting
- EPC Agreements
- Interconnection Arrangements (including PJM issues)
- Permit By Rule (PBR)
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Project Acquisition and Divestiture
- Project Finance
- Project Leases, Easements and Rights-of-Way
- Project Siting & Land Use
- Renewable Energy Credits
- Tax Planning, including advising on the Inflation Reduction Act
We also assist clients in navigating through the various legal and related matters associated with establishing and conducting business in the U.S., including:
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate Planning and Entity Formation
- Employment and Immigration
- State and Local Economic Incentives
- State and Local Government Relations
- State and Local Tax Issues
- Warehouse and Office Leases and Contracts
- Represented an offshore wind developer on interconnection and permitting activities in Virginia and North Carolina.
- Represented an international company on tax considerations in the establishment of U.S.-based manufacturing of wind energy components.
- Represented a developer on matters regarding the Virginia Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind (CVOW) project.
- Represented several private investment firms in diligence for the acquisition of an onshore wind development project, including advising on local and state permitting.