We advise hospitals, hospital systems, academic medical centers, physician groups, long-term care providers, behavioral health providers, payors and a broad range of others in the health care marketplace.
We serve as outside general counsel for many clients, handling the full range of legal matters that arise in the highly regulated health care industry. For other clients, we complement in-house legal teams, bringing specific experience to complex regulatory, operational and transactional matters. We have a keen understanding of the health care marketplace, our clients’ business needs, and reimbursement strategies, which we use to help clients develop practical, workable and legal strategies.
Our experience includes:
- Complex transactions: We advise hospitals and other large providers, including large specialty physician practices and senior care providers, on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and restructurings, and private equity transactions.
- Corporate and operational: Our attorneys provide counsel on governance, contracts between providers, employment agreements, medical staff issues, management and services agreements, incident response, and credentialing and disciplinary matters, all with the background of the various state and federal laws that govern those scenarios.
- Federal regulatory assistance: We advise on the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Civil Monetary Penalties Law (CMPL), Medicare reimbursement and certification, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), and related investigations and litigation.
- Certificate of Need (CON)/Certificate of Public Need (COPN): Hospitals, physician practices, nursing homes, and other providers routinely rely on our attorneys to assist with COPN initiatives in Virginia and CON matters in North Carolina. Our experience ranges from early-stage strategy to application drafting to hearings and appellate litigation.
- State regulatory advice: We help providers, particularly in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, with facility and professional licensure and certification, Medicaid and state self-referral laws, and related investigations and litigation, including disciplinary board matters.
- Physician group operations: We represent physician groups in a wide range of matters, including employment, real estate, hospital contracting, reimbursement, mergers and acquisitions and other matters.
- Compliance matters: We assist with compliance plan development, internal training, auditing and policy reviews.
- Survey and certification: We represent entities and professionals in Medicare and Medicaid certification processes.
- Government relations: We assist with both executive and legislative matters important to health care providers in Virginia and North Carolina.
HIPAA Tips With Williams Mullen
The HIPAA Tips With Williams Mullen video series addresses major HIPAA exceptions, nuances of Protected Health Information (PHI), telehealth after the pandemic, ransomware attacks, and cyberattacks.