Richard A. Zechini
For clients looking for effective public affairs strategies, Rick Zechini has the background to navigate complex legal and public policy issues.
Based out of Williams Mullen’s Raleigh office, Rick works with clients on state government relations, legislative advocacy, campaign finance, electioneering, ethics, procurement, financial services, tax, regulatory, environmental and corporate grassroots matters. He brings experience developed over 15 years as a legislative staffer and lobbyist. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Government Relations (2019-present).
At Progress Energy, Rick was responsible for developing and implementing a legislative strategy to promote the company’s business and strategic objectives. He served as the company’s chief registered lobbyist in North Carolina, responsible for all lobbying activities at the General Assembly and key relationships in the Office of Governor. He also directed strategy for utilizing grassroots and third-party actions on legislative and environmental issues.
As director of government affairs for the North Carolina Association of REALTORS® for nine years, Rick was responsible for managing the government affairs department for the 37,000 member trade association that included legislative and regulatory affairs, political fundraising, grassroots and electioneering activities.
While serving as a staff attorney at the North Carolina General Assembly, Rick provided legal services for various legislative committees and study commissions. He conducted legal research on statutory and regulatory issues; drafted legislation and legal memoranda; and provided explanations and analysis of legislation.
Rick earned his J.D. from Washington & Lee University and his B.S. in economics from North Carolina State University.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D.)
- Law Fellows Program
- Environmental Law Digest - Editor
- North Carolina State University (B.S.)
- Dean's List
- North Carolina Professional Lobbyist Association
- North Carolina Young Lobbyist Association – Former President
- Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section - Former Council Member
- Planning and Land Use Section of the North Carolina Bar Association – Former Council Member
- National Association of REALTORS® Government Affairs Directors – Former Vice-Chairman
- NC State University Friends of the Library – Former Director
- NC State University Lawyers Society
- Eastern North Carolina Chapter of the Washington and Lee University Alumni Association – Director
- Polar House Hockey League – Youth Hockey Coach
- Capital City Crew – Youth Hockey Coach
- Hobey Baker Memorial Award – Secretary
- Cardinal Gibbons Family Association – DadCru Volunteer
- Note in the Pocket – Volunteer
- Carolina Hurricanes’ First Goal Program - Youth Hockey Coach
- North Carolina State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
The Best Lawyers in America© – Government Relations (2019-present)
Inducted into the 2018 North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society by the N.C. Pro Bono Resource Center