Jeremy Ball is a highly experienced health care attorney who provides practical, solution-oriented advice in complex regulatory and transactional matters. He represents a wide range of clients in the health care industry, including hospitals, physician practice groups, ancillary health care providers, managed care health insurance plans and health care entrepreneurs. Jeremy advises clients on transactional, regulatory and reimbursement matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensure and certification, Medicare and Medicaid appeals, contract negotiation, HIPAA, fraud and abuse compliance and Certificate of Public Need (COPN)
Jeremy Ball is a highly experienced health care attorney who provides practical, solution-oriented advice in complex regulatory and transactional matters. He represents a wide range of clients in the health care industry, including hospitals, physician practice groups, ancillary health care providers, managed care health insurance plans and health care entrepreneurs. Jeremy advises clients on transactional, regulatory and reimbursement matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensure and certification, Medicare and Medicaid appeals, contract negotiation, HIPAA, fraud and abuse compliance and Certificate of Public Need (COPN).
Jeremy routinely represents clients on a variety of issues before the Virginia Department of Health, the Department of Medical Assistance Services and the Department of Health Professions. His background as a litigation attorney combined with his depth of knowledge in health law gives Jeremy a well-developed skill set with which to defend his clients before these administrative agencies.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Health Care Law (2020-present) and among the "Legal Elite" from Virginia Business magazine (2015, 2019-present).
Before entering the private practice of law, Jeremy served in the U.S. Army for 14 years. During that time, he served as a Field Artillery Officer and later as an attorney in the U.S. Army’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps. As a Judge Advocate, Jeremy was assigned to numerous positions, including prosecuting attorney for the 24th Infantry Division, senior criminal defense attorney with the 10th Mountain Division and later as a professor of law at the Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School.
He received his LL.M. from the Judge Advocate General's Legal Center and School with the U.S. Army, his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Virginia School of Law and his Bachelor of Science degree from the United States Military Academy.
- Represented a private equity-backed physician management organization in the acquisition of multiple diagnostic imaging centers.
- Represented a large orthopedic physician group in the negotiation of a joint venture value-based care network with a private equity-backed management organization.
- Represented an independent radiology group in the negotiation of a joint venture interventional laboratory with other private equity-backed physician groups.
- Represented a private equity-backed physician management organization on all matters related to its business, including corporate governance, acquisition of physician practices, employment matters, and compliance with state licensing laws and corporate practice of medicine prohibitions.
- Represented physicians and physician groups in the organization of joint venture ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs) with management companies and hospitals.
- Represented a health system in the acquisition of physician practice groups.
- Advised a start-up hospice agency on how to structure the sale of investment interests in compliance with the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Advised an emergency medicine practice group on a corporate reorganization resulting in the consolidation of five affiliated practice groups.
- Represented a startup physician group providing direct health care services in the development of a customer master services agreement.
- Represented multiple hospitals in the negotiation of professional service agreements with physician groups (ambulatory and hospital-based).
- Represented a physician practice group in the negotiation of an anesthesia services agreement with a large health system.
- Represented a gastroenterology group in the negotiation of an anesthesia services agreement with a national provider group.
- Advised an oncology practice on an arrangement with a company providing drug rebate aggregation services.
- Represented multiple emergency physician groups in the negotiation of hospital professional service agreements.
- Negotiated all variety of vendor contracts for a large orthopedic physician group.
- Represented a health system in its appeal of a Virginia Certificate of Public Need (COPN) decision, arguing before the Virginia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Advised a multi-specialty physician group in the negotiation of a payment dispute with a national health insurer.
- Represented a hospital in a reimbursement dispute related to Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) payments.
- Advised an audiology practice on corporate organization and governance, employment matters, vendor contracting, and compliance with the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Advised a health system’s physician practice entity on health care regulatory matters, provider employment agreements, and compliance with the Stark law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Advised a medical device manufacturer on structuring customer agreements to comply with the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Advised a specialty physician practice group on the resolution of a potential Stark law violation resulting from a hospital professional services agreement.
- Advised a physician group in the investigation and self-report of multiple violations of the Civil Monetary Penalties Act.
- Represented a large physician group in a health care fraud and abuse investigation conducted by a U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Represented multiple physician groups in the investigation of reimbursement issues and resolution of overpayments to government and commercial health insurers.
- Advised multiple physician groups on the resolution of unrefunded credit balance.
- Represented a urology group in an investigation by the HHS Office of Inspector General.
- Represented a national company operating long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, hospice agencies, and a physical therapy group on regulatory compliance, managed care contracting, and vendor contracting.
- Represented a radiology practice group in all matters related to its business, including corporate governance, employment matters, hospital contracting, negotiation of joint ventures, and payor reimbursement.
- Advised a company providing mobile optometry services on compliance with various state laws governing the corporate practice of optometry.
- Guided a physician pathology group through the process of updating and improving its corporate organizational documents and physician employment agreements.
- Advised a dentist on the establishment of a new mobile dental practice in compliance with state licensing laws.