Assisting an array of companies and individuals with real estate matters on a national, regional and local basis, Jonathan Frank focuses his practice on commercial real estate, land development, leasing and finance. He represents developers, investors, businesses, landlords and tenants, including Fortune 500 companies, in all facets of commercial real estate transactions including acquisitions, dispositions, development, financing, leasing and §1031 tax-free exchanges.Jonathan has extensive experience with major economic development projects, complex mixed-use developments, office parks, shopping centers and residential communities.
Assisting an array of companies and individuals with real estate matters on a national, regional and local basis, Jonathan Frank focuses his practice on commercial real estate, land development, leasing and finance. He represents developers, investors, businesses, landlords and tenants, including Fortune 500 companies, in all facets of commercial real estate transactions including acquisitions, dispositions, development, financing, leasing and §1031 tax-free exchanges.
Jonathan has extensive experience with major economic development projects, complex mixed-use developments, office parks, shopping centers and residential communities. Further, he devotes a significant portion of his time to the representation of institutional and individual investors in the identification, acquisition, financing, and leasing of net lease, retail, office, industrial and multi-family investment properties. He is experienced in the formation of innovative multi-investor arrangements including tenant-in-common (TIC) structures.
Jonathan is actively involved on the firm's Economic Development team, where he serves as the public relations chair and provides real estate services to the firm's economic development clients. He also has an active national leasing practice representing expanding companies in office, industrial and retail leases throughout the United States. In regards to land development, he has led his clients through the entire development cycle from negotiating the purchase contract, to financing the acquisition, preparing comprehensive declarations of easements, covenants, conditions and restrictions (ECRs) and other property owner association documents, to leasing, outparcel sales and joint venture structuring on over $1 billion in development projects.
Understanding that real estate matters often cross into other practice areas, Jonathan helps his clients identify their legal needs and then find the right lawyers with the right skills within Williams Mullen to assist them with those needs. A skilled project manager, Jonathan oversees all facets of his clients’ matters and transactions, as well as the entire team of professionals involved. His goal is to work toward accomplishing the client’s objectives as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Jonathan has been listed among Virginia's "Legal Elite" by Virginia Business magazine four times, most recently in 2017, and he is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law. He earned his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Richmond School of Law and his Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, from Washington and Lee University.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ANY LEGAL MATTER DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST RESULTS DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE SIMILAR RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE MATTER.
- Represented power generation and electric transmission company in the $350 million acquisition of a 24% undivided interest in a gas-fired power plant, underlying real estate and all associated power plant assets. Representation included significant real estate due diligence, negotiation of title endorsements and extended coverages, assistance with financing, and legal opinions.
- Represented Japanese conglomerate and manufacturer of carbide cutting tools in a build-to-suit purchase of 10-acre parcel for a manufacturing facility in Danville, Va. Work included negotiation of unique build-to-suit purchase and sale agreement, assistance with oversight of construction, advice regarding consulting agreements with construction management and quality control consultants. This project is expected to create 45 jobs and a $9.5 million capital investment.
- Represented Industrial Development Authority in connection with a major economic development project. Multiple parcels were assembled to create a commercial park for the location of a major distribution and fulfillment center involving an investment in excess of $50 million and the creation of hundreds of jobs. The project involved a comprehensive state and local incentives package. Real estate work involved handling all aspects of the real estate assemblage and transfers, including the resolution of title issues, the creation of private easements and the preparation of restrictive covenants.
- Represented national developer in the acquisition of a 120-acre site for development as a high-density, urban mixed-use community with 550 townhomes, two 18-story office towers, two hotels, three mixed-use condominiums with retail on the first floor and residential apartments above and free-standing stores for national retailers including REI, Whole Foods and JC Penney’s. Work included the acquisition of land, multiple phases of financing in excess of $200 million, consolidation and re-subdivision of land, negotiation of purchase and sale contracts with hotel developers and preparation and implementation of Master Declaration, Townhouse Declaration, and other Property Owner’s Association documents.
- Represented publicly traded national developer in acquisition and $250 million development of 150 acres as the premier regional lifestyle center in the metropolitan area anchored by Nordstrom’s, Macy’s, Dillard’s and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- Represented publicly traded national developer in the acquisition and syndicated financing of an 11 office-building portfolio for a price in excess of $110 million.
- Represented purchaser of a 3,000-acre regional office park and subsequent sale of 316 acres to publicly traded credit card company for development into a two-million-square-foot office campus.
- Represented developer of approximately 50 acres of brownfields property located on the north bank of the James River east of downtown Richmond in land assemblage for development of the property as a major waterfront urban-mixed-use community. Preparation of Master Declaration, Townhouse Declaration and other Property Owner’s Association documents. Assisted with entering the property into the Virginia Voluntary Remediation Program for contaminated property and obtaining environmental insurance.
- Represented domestic subsidiary of an international corporation in connection with the lease from a REIT and buildout of a 78,000-square-foot building to be used for office, warehouse and light manufacturing purposes.
- Represented national distributor in connection with a build-to-suit lease for 122,000-square-foot industrial and office building on an eight-acre campus to be developed and used as the company’s headquarters. Representation included the negotiation and assignment to the build-to-suit developer of a purchase and sale contract for the land, assisting the company through the RFP process with interested developers, the negotiation of a long-term build-to-suit lease for the project including a purchase option, acquiring an option on adjacent property to provide room for expansion and assisting with local and state economic development incentives.
- Represented real estate developer during $56 million sale of a 355,000-square-foot office building with two anchor tenants – one in the Fortune 100 and one in the Fortune 500. Work involved negotiating the purchase and sale agreement; amending multiple leases; amending and restating reciprocal access and parking easements within the office park and obtaining consent from other property owners within the office park; adjusting property boundaries; and closing within three days after due diligence.
- Representation of venture-capital funded health care company in an economic development deal with a local incentives package involving the lease from the local economic development authority of the entirety of a former municipal building. The lease included a complex deferred purchase option.
- Represented a German-owned specialty chemical manufacturer in all real estate aspects of a state and local incentives-based economic development transaction for the acquisition of an 18-acre site for the development of a $15 million research center.
- Represented a Chinese manufacturing company in all real estate aspects of a state and local incentives-based economic development transaction regarding the acquisition of a U.S. manufacturing site that will create 125 jobs and $4.6 million in capital investment.