Jonathan A. Grasso
Jon Grasso has experience serving as lead counsel for all major constituencies in complex commercial litigation and creditors’ rights matters, including financial institutions, vendors, landlords, creditors’ committees, trustees, liquidating trusts, judgment creditors, and debtors.
Within his litigation practice, Jon regularly represents parties in connection with shareholder disputes, securities litigation, breach of contract actions, breach of fiduciary duty claims, construction disputes, and employment-related claims.
As part of his creditors’ rights practice, Jon has handled fraudulent transfers and preference actions, successor liability lawsuits, relief from the bankruptcy automatic stay, chapter 11 plan confirmation, assumption and rejection of leases, out-of-court workouts, including forbearance agreements, and utilized numerous tactics to collect on judgments such as debtor’s interrogatories, garnishments, and the foreclosure of real estate and personal property.
Jon has experience in numerous industries, including retail, food and beverage, manufacturing, real estate, technology, cryptocurrency, health care, construction, and energy.
Jon earned his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from St. John’s University School of Law, where he was the publications editor for the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review, and his Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, from Binghamton University.
- St. John's University School of Law (J.D.), 2010
- cum laude
- Binghamton University (B.A.), 2006
- cum laude
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Lead counsel representations for Jon include:
- Unsecured creditors in multibillion-dollar collection representation
- Liquidation trust against former directors and officers of debtor with claims of approximately $800 million
- Secured creditor in foreclosure of substantially all assets of health care business
- National commercial landlord in variety of business bankruptcy disputes throughout the country
- Asset purchaser in multimillion-dollar fraudulent inducement claim against seller
- Construction company in multimillion-dollar embezzlement suit against co-owner
- Numerous international manufacturers in multimillion-dollar preference adversary proceedings in the Sears and Kmart bankruptcy cases
- Tech company in out-of-court workout of eight figures of defaulted debt, mainly owed to sellers relating to the purchase of multiple subsidiaries