Stefanie A. Felitto
Stefanie Felitto assists health care clients, including hospital systems, long-term care providers and physicians and physician practice groups, with a broad range of health care-related matters.
Stefanie provides counsel on transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. She also advises on regulatory matters related to state licensure compliance, Certificate of Public Need (COPN), Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute compliance and Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements. She assists health care clients with laboratory regulatory compliance, hospital medical staff issues and bylaws, health care transactional matters, physician contracts and other issues facing health care providers.
Before law school, Stefanie worked as a Health Solutions Senior Consultant at FTI Consulting in Washington D.C, where she developed financial, error rate and litigation exposure models, as well as expert reports for health care providers and their outside counsel.
Stefanie earned her Juris Doctor degree from William & Mary Law School, where she was a member of the William & Mary Business Law Review. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, from the College of William & Mary. Stefanie is involved in the community as a board member of Better2gether and a junior board member of the World Pediatric Project. She is a development editor of Opening Statement, a publication of the Virginia Bar Association Young Lawyers Division.
- College of William & Mary School of Law (J.D.)
- William & Mary Business Law Review
- College of William & Mary (B.A.)
- magna cum laude
- Better2gether Board, Member (2020)
- World Pediatric Project, Junior Board Member (2020)
- Virginia State Bar
Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" - Health Care Law (2022-present)
THE MATTERS LISTED BELOW ARE ILLUSTRATIVE OF THE MATTERS HANDLED BY THE FIRM. MATTER RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. NOT ALL MATTER RESULTS ARE PROVIDED. MATTER RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE MATTER UNDERTAKEN BY THE LAWYER.
- Assisted in the sale of a freestanding inpatient psychiatric hospital.
- Assisted in the purchase of 38 nursing homes in the Southeast. Helped the buyer manage the requisite licensure and payor enrollments following the change of ownership.
- Assisted in the opposition of a Certificate of Public Need (COPN) for a large non-profit hospital that would increase market share of the dominant regional provider and adversely impact its competitors.
- Helped a physician group navigate a breach of protected health information and related HIPAA investigation and notifications, ultimately resulting in a lack of further action from HHS.
- Assisted with a Certificate of Public Need Informal Fact Finding Conference, challenging the decision of the Division of Certificate of Public Need to recommend only a subset of nursing home beds proposed to be transferred to an affiliate nursing home facility. The State Health Commissioner ultimately ruled in favor of the nursing home granting the transfer of all nursing home beds proposed.
- Defended a Board of Nursing action against a Licensed Practical Nurse program. Assisted in the Formal hearing process, which ultimately resulted in a dismissal of all allegations against the university.