Troy R. Johnson, Jr.
Troy has advised hospitals and health systems, long-term care providers, behavioral health providers, and physician groups on an array of regulatory matters, including telehealth and telemedicine, corporate practice of medicine (CPOM), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the Stark law.
Troy’s transactional experience includes providing counsel to physician group practices on sales or stock purchases, change of licensure issues, and assignment and change of ownership provisions. He has also assisted clients with various litigation matters, including professional discipline, risk management, and malpractice. Troy has also been named to The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" - Health Care Law (2023) and is a member of the Virginia State Bar Health Law Section's board of governors.
Troy earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Richmond School of Law, where he was vice president of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Society and a member of the Black Law Students Association. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from William & Mary, where he majored in kinesiology and health sciences with a pre-med minor.
- University of Richmond School of Law (J.D.), 2021
- College of William & Mary (B.S.), 2015
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Society; Vice President, 2020-2021
- Black Law Students Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Richmond Bar Association
- Hill-Tucker Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Health Law Section - Board of Governors
- Virginia State Bar
The Best Lawyers in America® - "Ones to Watch" - Health Care Law(2023)
- Assisted a nurse practitioner at a Formal Hearing involving inappropriate treatment of a significant other.
- Assisted a nursing education program from the complaint phase through the Formal Hearing.
- Reviewed and revised Business Associate Agreements for a consulting company to ensure compliance with HIPAA.
- Researched and provided guidance regarding telemedicine statutes and regulations in multiple states for an insurance company.
- Researched and provided guidance regarding the corporate practice of medicine (CPOM)/optometry doctrine in addition to the regulation of the mobile practice of optometry.
- Reviewed employment contracts for a physician group.
- Provided research on the various regulations that impact medical spas.
- Assisted in the sale of a medical practice.
- Provided counsel to hospital medical staff for a peer review Fair Hearing. (Work performed at another law firm.)